What are the origins of the fifty point checklist? The ones where the young lady defines all of these must-haves in her potential fella. Often, no man in the world could meet all of them. But the checkpoints are still there.
Let us consider what the checklist is officially for. She is looking for a husband to marry and have children with. She would want her children (as well as herself) to do well, so attributes related to this should be prime. Surrogates such as height, strength, etc. come up here. Then there is material wealth/potential for wealth. He has to provide resources. Furthermore, there is character. This should be on many lists, but it often isn’t. Characters is useful for all sorts of reasons,teaching the children the right way to do things, figuring out the correct thing to do, loyalty, perseverance, etc. The above is what should be on checklists.
What do we find on checklists? Perhaps there is too much to list, but vast swaths of silly things. I am sure that you can list lots of them. They were formed in childhood and the the teens. How did they come about? That is the question. Here are some possibilities,
- Girls are encouraged to shoot/dream for the stars.
- Girls have much better communication options (i.e. the web) than they used to. Providers see what the market is, and provide the silly ideas that girls want to hear
- Nobody wants to tell girls how the world really is
- With constant fantasizing, how could the checklists help but not get bigger
- Girls need to outdo other girls, so their checklists must reflect this.
Please feel free to add your own.