By “monarch” I don’t mean mere figureheads. I mean monarch who rules. I’m not an expert, but I doubt the monarchy has been more powerful than parliament since the civil war (1642-1648).
Democracy works okay as long as it does not deviate from certain prerequisites for its own survival: supremacy of the Legislature, an independent Judiciary, the rule of law and due process, and separation of the powers. I will call these prerequisites the Principles here. IMO when a democracy ceases to practise the Principles, it is no longer a democracy.
Crime and foreign forces could not overwhelm the Principles. The Principles’ weakness proved to be their helplessness against home-grown ideology. A “liberal” anti-Principles mindset infiltrated and took over education and the media.
A few generations later, the Left have turned the law courts into an extension of party politics. The Executive is by-passing the Legislature. The separation of the powers is being openly flouted. The Judiciary is shamelessly exercising administrative functions. The rule of law is withering on the vine.
The so-called opposition parties (Conservatives, Republicans etc) which are increasingly woke, have participated in the destruction.
The Leftards could not have destroyed the Principles had they not taken over the media. The New York Times (the so-called “Paper of Record”), CNN, Facebook etc are as disinformative and partisan as Pravda in the 1920s. The MSM have corrupted every aspect of themselves that might have had credibility, including the much-vaunted “Fourth Estate”.
The nations of the West, having lost the separation of powers and the rule of law, are faux democracies. Monarchy is not much better than this but nor is it much worse.
Is democracy doomed to slide into ideological tyranny? The tyranny might turn out to be Fascism or Communism, but neither of those is the force that tore down the Principles. It took something closer to the survival of the species to do that, such as self-hate so strong, it incited racism against itself. No species ever survived by turning against itself at all, let alone at procreation level. I fear that something that deep, that extreme, in enough of the men as well as the women in the white race at least, is set to repeat.
Feminism, with its wedge between the sexes and overt enmity toward the straight white male, has been the leader – or perhaps useful idiot – of the host of bigots and ingrates who long to tear down the West. Democracies destroy themselves inside the gates, inside the home, inside the head.
- Do these self-destructive ideologies arise only in “democracies”?
- The Left are the elite. Plenty of them would just love to be the monarch and I bet some of them right now are carefully cultivating a regal tilt to their heads the way Lord Muck Obama did. They have the woke cred, the activisits, the money and vanity to burn. Why not a leftist monarchy?
- Democracy being more self-destructive than monarchy, is it worth pining for a return of the Principles when they would probably be followed by another collapse?
- Can democracy bring us closer to freedom than any other system?
- Which is the lesser of two evils here: the tyranny of monarchal rule or the self-destructive violence of a broken democracy?