People live in society. They need society to work. How much should they be willing to sacrifice for to make this happen?
This is an important question. There are many aspects of it.
1. How well do we want society to work?
2. What aspects of society working well do we want to emphasize?
3. Would we want to pay extra taxes for it?
4. Would we be willing behave in certain matters for it?
5. Would we be willing not to behave in certain ways for it?
6. How important is the future?
Once again, there are sacrifices implied in all these aspects. The questions are what should be the goals, and who should make the sacrifices?
I will leave it to the commenters to fill in the blanks as to how they think it does, and how it should all play out.