When a woman does not want to bump a relationship up to serious status, she brings out the much used (and maligned) Let’s Just Be Friends (LJBF) line. If a fella does not want to read more, he can stop at the next line. You are just not good enough for her.
In actuality you might be a fine guy, and judged to be a good catch by people with a true understanding of the situation. But for what ever reason, when she puts on her tingle colored glasses, this is what she sees,
Perhaps we should cut the woman some slack. It can be argued that she is just trying not to hurt the fella’s feelings. But is there more? Perhaps she wants to keep you around for one or more of the following reasons,
1. As plan B (or C or D) if something better does not turn up.
2. For validation (women dig validation)
3. For you to be an emotional tampon when needed (related to validation)
4. As a Mr. Fix-It or a Mr. Do-it
5. She feels really bad for screwing you over for no apparent reason and wants to salve her feelings (I have seen this)
In short — these reasons are all for her benefit and none for yours. Is that how friends treat each other?
In my case, as my marriage was dissolving, my soon to be ex-wife suggested that we still be friends. This was the era when I was at my supplicating beta best. I instinctively knew that this was not the path to take.